Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Elegy; with Ben Kingsley, Dennis Hopper, and Penelope Cruz



I would like to start off by saying: The Edina Landmark Theatre makes me feel young. Why does the cinema make me feel young? Because Shannon and I are usually half the age of the rest of the audience. And that’s weird.

The movie seemed aimed at the aging crowd. Without doing a study in gerontology the average population of the US is aging. And these people like to see movies. And apparently Penelope Cruz’ breasts. This summer has had a lot of movies about people getting old and struggling with the new identity (Actually the movie reads much like the Passenger for the Jack Nicholson fans) but I think Elegy is much better than say The Bucket List.

I liked the movie, not only because of breasts, but because of how Kingsley and Hopper get along in the movie. It reminds me of Wolfy and me.

What sent us driving into the particular part of town we hate driving to? Free tickets. Seriously, taking 62 past 35w we almost got sideswiped and we had our own lane. It’s like people are on crazy pills around there. Absolute white knuckle driving because no-one drives predictably. But this might have something to do with the way the road work there is being done. While excellent work is being done on the new road bed, the redirected traffic has terrible surface to drive on. The pavement is patch worked together, the banking is opposite for all the turns. So of course there are accidents because nothing is smooth or made with the physics of driving in mind.

SO, maybe when we get more time to travel the distance, we will bike there. 50th and France is not that far really.

Would I suggest people see the movie? yes. Would I recommend driving to Edina to see it? no.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dennis Hopper is amazing! He has done so many films and seems to never stop. This month alone I believe he has at least 3 movies out. That’s not even taking into consideration the fact he goes and promotes all these films, paints, plays poker and likes to attend all the coolest events. He just doesn’t let up! I have him on my GPS even. I got his voice from a company called Navtones.com and I love it. It is the real him and they do other voices such as Mr. T, Kim Cattrall, Gary Busey… all the real celebrities. Dennis Hopper, go take a holiday!