Wednesday, October 8, 2008

spend Spend SPEND!

The days are getting shorter.

And I think something needs to be done for light.  

I've got a cat eye head light for Frenchie, but it never seems to be very bright.  I can kinda see about 15 feet in front of me, but the light is more for being seen than for seeing.

This new bailout package intrigues me.  The idea of getting money from the government for biking to work is exciting.  I'm kinda thinking about getting a cross-check built up and if I can get some of the money reimbursed...  

So far what I am thinking I want from the bike is a dynamo hub in front so i can have reliable light.  And a crank geared something like 48/38/__.  right now Frenchie is 54/48 and a bitch on hills.  I want wider tires, and studded tires.  And a pony.

I don't think I can walk away with this under a grand.  and the idea of a travelers check is intoxicating.

which puts everything closer to 1700.  

and next summer since we bought a car.

It would be really easy to put something like this on the credit card and pay it off over the course of months.  But with the interest rate on the card at 12% that makes an expensive bike way more than it would need to be.  

What we as a country seem to have gotten used to is having things right now and buying on borrowed money.  Look at the commercial paper debacle.  Companies being lent money on the very short term, rather than having the cash flow.  What pisses em off is that executives are being paid in bags of money, when the company is having trouble making payroll.  Now that is fiscal irresponsibility of the worst sort.  

I have said since I graduated that I would never know the retirement my Grandparents enjoy.  But if these companies don't quit dicking around, no one else will either, even the folks who have been frugal and saved all their lives.

I would like to buy a new bike, but I would also like to stay out of hock.  I keep a nutella jar with money in it. just a matter of time.

2 comments:

shannon said...

tell him to get back in there and sell, Sell, SELL!!!!

Bujiatang said...

and I bet him a dollar...