Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Biking across the river

So Monday I had my first flat tire in 7 years.  Thats right the last time I had a flat tire on my bike was during Freshman year.  That time the valve stem popped off.

For a flat this time I was flying down the hill from Minnehaha Park towards Fort Snelling, and underneath Highway 5 there are always small rocks, one of which found my back wheel appealing.

During the 15 minutes it took for me to flip the bike, pull the wheel and patch the hole, like 20 people asked if I had everything I needed.  (I have to say the change to mustache bars from noodle bars is awesome (I don't like aero brakes and the cables made it "impossible" flip the bike without crushing the housing) for changing tires).

Over the weekend we kept a tally of people who said hello to those who didn't on the Great Rivers trail.  12/17.  

Does this mean that people in the evening in Minneapolis are more Minnesota nice than morning people in Mendota?  I think it has more to do with the fact that I wasn't a grinning goon on an old French bike, but a fellow cyclist with the rubber side up.


3 comments:

Jim Thill said...

It takes a special kind of person to warm up to a grinning goon on an old french bike.

amidnightrider said...

I saw a comment about your smelly Keene sandals. I have this in my notepad from and old internet search for the same problem.

"I don't remember where I learned this, but it really works to get odors out of shoes. It works on all types of material.

Take regular old newspaper and wad it up. Soak it with alcohol, (not the green one), just plain rubbing alcohol. Stuff the soaked newspaper inside the shoe or sandal and leave overnight."

Bujiatang said...

thanks!

I love these sandals and feel sheepish wearing them 'cuz of the stink.

I'll give it a whirl this weekend.