Saturday, May 24, 2008

de-militarized camera "bag"

A week ago we went to Stillwater and bought a new light meter.  

One of the many things we didn't buy was a small ammo box for 7.62 rounds.  But what it did do was make me remember the .50 caliber boxes that were so popular in boy scouts.

I mentioned this in passing at work, and one of my co-worker's ears perked up.  He's had one in his garage for ages.

I've been concerned about biking with the camera because I'm afraid of smushing the thing.  obviously a cinderblock  like the Mamiya is more rugged. BUT, I still don't want to have to worry.

What better way to stop worrying and love the camera, than to line a sturdy steel box with inch thick foam?

The box weighed 5 lb empty.

I figure if I am not going to obsess over 5 grams, why worry about 5 lb.  

Today I biked out to the Glen Lake golf course over off 62 and 4.  38 miles round trip from home according to Gmaps pedometer.  Somehow my lazy ass survived the burden. [/sarcasm]

pictures to follow.

No comments: