Monday, July 14, 2008

Airport security

I don't dress up to travel.  Some people are in the security line looking like they just stepped out of Tiffany's.  I look like I am about to go hiking.  I like loose fitting clothes, zip-off pant legs in case I get cold or warm.  But I also get searched a lot going through security.

Some people suggest it is the Mamiya that causes the trouble.  Not a lot of people travel with large cameras like that.  And I usually travel with it.  I like the 6x4.5cm format.  I like the way the math changes on exposures.  Through an x-ray machine it prolly looks like something gruesome.  I don't know, they never let me look.

But I was searched at the airport going from Hawaii to Oahu and leaving Oahu heading for home.  And they were the most pleasant airport security people I have ever been searched by.  They were just as thorough as the grumbling people at MSP, they opened all my camera bags and swabbed everything down, but they smiled and made small talk about our stay in Hawaii.  I actually enjoyed being searched.  I felt like I had taken part in some sort of happy exit poll.


No comments: