Monday, September 29, 2008

Wolfninja!

So word has it we bought a new car.

And it is a newer car than the van, but not exactly "new."  Not that I wouldn't think of it as being new.  Since it is new to us.

Many things about it are new to us about the car.

like the size. compact.


Wicked cool how much space is left in the parking space with a compact car.



And then there is the driving experience...

The Gimpy the Wonder Taurus always had a smooth ride.  The van also.  But neither gripped the road like this car does.  On curves the van tried to pass itself, and Gimpy couldn't get up to a dangerous speed.

What I would like to tell the car salesmen we didn't buy cars from is this: consistency.  We dragged everything over a couple days and every one of them changed their stories in some horrible inconsistent way.  Like the guy in the Honda dealership.  His wife went from staying home with year and a half old baby and their single car, to 15 months ago he bought an Avalanche for a second vehicle because he just "needed a truck."  Now he might have shared the stories in a way that was confusing.  Perhaps when the baby was born they only had one car and now they have two, but he didn't say that.

I have a few stories that I share with customers, and what I try to do is keep the important details always the same.  Maybe I am more accustomed to seeing a customer more than once?

Learning to drive a stick has been getting easier as I deconstructed the way I was used to driving and inserted my control of the shifting.  I'm still rough; I dumped the clutch with my Grandmother riding shotgun.  But really like driving the car.  Did I mention Frenchie still fits in the trunk of the compact car?

BWAHAHAHAHA  

2 comments:

Rachel Fleming said...

This is clearly an awesome choice. (it looks like my car, but different color!) I can fit a full size tuba and a trombone in the trunk of my similarly awesome car. Or as I like to figure it: three full human bodies, not at all chopped up. And, how about that torque!

A fun way to get the real feel for the clutch is to find a parking lot and use it to get a sense of what they call the "engagement point" which is the point on the clutch where the car will go by itself without any gas. Not that I've ever driven an automatic.

brother yam said...

Good luck with the new wheels. In my experience there are 50,000 mile VWs and 300,000 mile VWs.

I hope yours is the 300k type.