Monday, June 9, 2008

Some assembly required

My Mom has had a bike hanging in the garage rafters for years.  

I don't think it has been ridden for as long as she has had it.  At first this sounds like a terrible thing, but upon closer inspection--the bike was in no condition to be ridden.

Immediately apparent problem: no brakes.

I was able to tighten the play out of the rear hub easily, but the brakes are in serious need of attention.

What I had forgotten about was an old Schwinn Hurricane hanging in the back of the garage.  I noticed it when we got her bike down.

It has cantilevered breaks and 26inch tires, just like the road bike with all the troubles.  I don't think my Mom wants to ride a mountain bike, but with a different set of tires and more upright handlebars...

pictures of the project as I get more into it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your mom would have all sorts of excitement riding that bike as is...

Jim Thill said...

What color should I paint my new yacht?

Bujiatang said...

Green like the cash we'll be forking over...

Anonymous said...

just don't brake the bank!