Monday, June 23, 2008

There is something wrong with Frenchie

I've been riding my trusty french bike for so long I think I don't notice how quirky it really is.

Shannon thinks it is squirrly. She hasn't used the word squirrely, but the handleing is kinda...*waves arms.*

Tonight I test-rode a Long Haul Trucker.  And it was not squirrely.  When I turned, it turned; when I went straight it went straight.  Which leads me to two conclusions:

1. The Peugeot is sick
2. A LHT is sick (as in cool)
3. The cat has found catnip and is very clingy.

perhaps a new bike is somewhere in the future.  But I have new questions.

I have been using 27in tires and like the larger wheel, maybe, should I try out another bike with 27in tires and see if I like them better than the 26in tires I rode today.  

What about the Pugsley I test rode last year?  I seemed to be pretty gaga for that too.  what the hell, am I just excited to buy something new?

How am I going to come up with the extra thousand dollars.

The difference in size of wheel might be enough so I don't feel like I am buying a modernized replica of what I already have, or like Jim said in the shop: "you could make it [Frenchie] a single speed." tempting.

The trouble with me buying an expensive mountain bike is: I don't mountain bike.  winter commuting by bike might be just as easy with Nokians. (I dunno, but thats what I hear).

1.???
2. Profit!
3. buy bike


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still have my somewhat trustworthy Peugeot 60 UE8M (aka Unlucky Pierre). Remember reading somewhere that large old Frenchies tend to have a low speed wobble.

Here's the link.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/kunich.html

So after reading your post, dug the old beast out from behind the boob tube and did a slow ride. It does wobble a little bit, but was going pretty slow. Not much and since I've only owned it for 24 years, well used to it. It currently has a wheel set off an old Gitane that was redone to 700C rims and has thin 23c road tires.

Compared it to its two stable mates, an old Fuji Supreme and a slightly newer Schwinn Worldsport (Giant in Taiwan) and it does wobble more but has a nicer feel. Those are on 27 1/4" tires.

Your bike is not sick, it's just French!

Bujiatang said...

Tonight I rode home with a tailwind, and had a much more impressive average speed. Also Frenchie tracked better.

I was reading a while back about high speed wobble in some bikes, but I'd never heard of low speed wobble.

I should look around for the old rim, I do still have Frenchie's original rear wheel. I wonder what the size was...